Hello there! Thank you for visiting my page!
I supposed the not-so-rude thing to do is introduce myself first! Name is Ellen but I go by many nicknames:
- Stitch because I act like him. Badness levels off the chart!
- Ella Mode because I aspire to dress superheroes… and villains ^_^ NO CAPES!
- And Khaniella Alika is my Rebel Legion character name.
I am a wife to a non-cosplaying husband and a mother to three cats named Luke, Leia and Choo.
• What was your first Cosplay?
Actually I never actually liked dressing up; I wasn’t born in the U.S.A and I was thirteen when I finally had my first Halloween. But years ago (probably a decade?) Warner Brothers were casting Cho Chang for the third Harry Potter movie. Inspired, I bought bits and pieces of the costume and even knitted a Ravenclaw scarf myself. I wish I had pictures of this but yeah, it was horrible.
I never dressed up again until I started seeing the Jakku Rey costumes at the Disney Store. Of course I complained “Why don’t they make it in my size!?!” Then I took a closer look and said, “I can replicate this!” And with the urging of a few friends, thus begun my journey into serious cosplaying.
My first official cosplay was on May 22, 2016, at Trader’s Village Comic Con.
• Why “Scavenger Grey Cosplay”?
Why not! To be honest, I’ve been toying with titles for a while and decided on this because:
a.) When I first started, I literally scavenge for softlines/pieces, especially for props. Went to different discount stores such as Dollar Tree, Goodwill and Salvation Army for parts to upcycle. I made my Rey Staff (pictured on the left) with a broom handle, koolaid bottles, foam noodles, USB cords and leather/cloth bits leftover from the costume.
b.) Grey because I love Rey’s grey costume. Although I’m proud of my budget Jakku Costume, the Grey Resistance costume just looks better on me. Being totally clueless, I’ve named said costumes as “Tan” and “G-Rey”. I supposed that’s why I’m keeping Grey in the title.
Why do you Cosplay?
To sum it all up in one picture:
Because I get to make a kid’s day when I pose with them and they get to brag that they’ve met a Jedi, Rebel or a villain. I enjoy getting to talk to the big kids (AKA adults) about Star Wars and costuming and what we do as groups and I greatly appreciate the compliments on the detail of the costume I’m wearing.
And most of all, I get to hang out with my friends who I’ve officially considered my family.
What do you like the most about Star Wars?
Ummm, the shiny Glowsticks? Hello!
In all seriousness, what I like the most about Star Wars is how the characters drive the story. Although the setting is a long long time ago in galaxy far, far away, the characters are so relatable. And Star Wars is the ultimate battle between good and evil. I’m not gonna deny it: the shiny lightsabers and flashy blasters and the awesome costumes are a plus though.
What organizations are you involved with?
- Rebel Legion – a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans.
- Space City Sabers – Space City Sabers is an organization for those with a passion for the sword in fiction, to come together, share fandom, and help local charities
- Star Wars Enthusiasts of Houston – a Meetup Group is for those who have an appreciation for the Star Wars universe, including mythology, cosplay, collectibles and philosophy.
- Disney Voluntears – is a charitable organization made up of Disney cast members who donate their time to helping charities and service organizations in their communities around the world.
- I dream of one day of also being a member for the 501st Legion and Mandalorian Mercenaries costuming groups.